Kelly ready for 2nd start as No. 17 Ole Miss hosts Fresno St

Published 9:10 am Friday, September 11, 2015

OXFORD – Chad Kelly’s first game as Mississippi’s starting quarterback was undeniably a success.

His reward: A second game as the starter.

Kelly will take the first snaps when No. 17 Ole Miss (1-0) hosts Fresno State (1-0) on Saturday, but coach Hugh Freeze is still hesitant to say the junior transfer has won the job over sophomores Ryan Buchanan and DeVante Kincade.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Freeze said that’s because he likes all three. Kelly understands why.

“As you saw, there was no dropoff when the other guys got in there,” Kelly said.

Kelly completed 9 of 15 passes for 211 yards and two touchdowns in last weekend’s lopsided 76-3 win over UT Martin. He also ran for a 20-yard touchdown.

Buchanan was 4 of 6 passing for 58 yards and two touchdowns. Kincade was 6 of 7 for 55 yards and a touchdown.

But there’s little doubt that Kelly is the overwhelming favorite to earn the full-time job. Freeze acknowledged the junior’s confidence and ability to complete long passes with ease was impressive.

“It doesn’t take his ball a long time to get there,” Freeze said. “He has a strong arm. I love explosive plays, and he has that ability to help us with that for sure. We’ll see how that progression goes.”

Fresno State has a 19-game losing streak against teams ranked in the top 25. Fourth-year coach Tim DeRuyter said Ole Miss has “talent, speed, skill and tenacity everywhere.”

DeRuyter said Kelly was impressive on film, especially considering it was his first start.

“There’s a reason the guy was a four-star quarterback coming out of high school,” DeRuyter said. “You can see the pedigree.”

By DAVID BRANDT, AP Sports Writer