Scholarship helps students pursue degree in journalism

Published 5:00 am Monday, April 23, 2001

Area high school seniors interested in continuing theireducation at Copiah-Lincoln Community College in Wesson andmajoring in journalism have the opportunity to save their parents alittle on tuition costs next year.

Co-Lin and The DAILY LEADER have partnered to award a $200 persemester scholarship for a graduating high school senior inLincoln, Lawrence, Franklin, Copiah or Jefferson Counties.

“Our hope is to identify area high school students who have aninterest in journalism and hopefully one day a career injournalism,” said William O. Jacobs, DAILY LEADER publisher.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The scholarship is part of the NEWS (News Enhancement Within ourSchools) program at Co-Lin that promotes journalism througheducational workshops, writing contests, assistance in startingschool newspapers and more.

“We’re really trying to promote high school journalism, so inturn we can have good students at Co-Lin and at the four-yearlevel,” said Natalie W. Davis, director of public relations atCo-Lin.

The DAILY LEADER and Co-Lin started the program two years ago asa way of helping a student pursue a career in journalism.

“This is our second year being a part of this program and welook forward to getting to know the students and watching themgrow,” said Jacobs.

Last year’s scholarship winner was Elizabeth Moak, a graduate ofLoyd Star Attendance Center, who has enjoyed the opportunities ajournalism major has given her so far, said Davis.

Moak has excelled in the Principles of Journalism class and as amember of The Wolf Tales, the college newspaper, which are bothrequired for scholarship recipients, added Davis.

Students must also complete 10 satisfactory weeks of study atthe college. Graduating seniors must be nominated by a student’sfaculty advisor, school counselor, journalism/communicationsinstructor or advisor or a member of the individual’s hometownnewspaper staff.

Along with a nomination, applicants should have a 100 word orless double-space typed essay on why they would like to pursue acareer in journalism.

The nomination deadline is April 27 with the selection committeemaking a decision on the winner by May 7.