Telephone user hurt when lightning hits
A Brookhaven women survived a possible electrocution Thursdayafter lightning struck her home while she was talking on thetelephone, fire department officials said.
Moses Bell, assistant Brookhaven fire chief, said Bessie Diggs,35, of 250 Marr St., was talking on the phone when lightning hither home around noon. Bell, the first emergency responder on thescene, said Diggs was knocked to the floor from the force of theelectrical charge.
King’s Daughters Medical Center paramedics and fire departmentpersonnel arrived to take Diggs to KDMC. Bell said the woman wassemi-conscious but stable at the time.
“Thankfully, she didn’t lose her life,” Bell said.
Diggs was released from KDMC later Thursday, Bell said.
Officials advise that telephones and other electrical equipmentshould not be used or handled during thunderstorms.