• 63°

Family loses home in Tuesday fire

More than 20 firefighters from four county volunteer firedepartments battled a house fire near the intersection ofMonticello Street and East Lincoln Road Tuesday afternoon, butcould not save the home.

Firefighters were called in around 3:15 p.m. when the home ofMike and Barbara Bessonette on Monticello Street caught fire. Therewere no injuries.

The fire started around the kitchen area in the far east cornerof the house, said Lincoln County Sheriff’s Department FireInvestigator Dustin Bairfield.

“We didn’t go any further (in the investigation) than todetermine whether it was accidental or intentional,” Bairfieldsaid. “It was accidental.”

The fire was electrical in nature, he said.

“The homeowner had done some wiring in that area that was not upto code,” Bairfield said.

Heuck’s Retreat Volunteer Fire Department was the first toarrive and requested assistance, said Clifford Galey, county firecoordinator. Firefighters and vehicles from East Lincoln, Hog Chainand Loyd Star assisted in containing the fire.

The American Red Cross was notified of the incident to see ifthey could assist the family, Bairfield said. The homeowners didnot have any insurance.