LCHS Cougars sweep Tigers, Chiefs

Published 12:50 am Sunday, March 23, 2014

MONTICELLO-The Lawrence County Cougars handled both Prentiss and Tylertown in a busy day of high school baseball Saturday, at Jimmie Davis Park. First, the Cougars defeated Prentiss by a score of 11-0. Later, LCHS handled Tylertown by a 12-1 margin. Both games were halted, via the 10-run rule, after 5 innings. In between the two Lawrence County games, Tylertown beat Prentiss 9-3.

With the Saturday wins, Cory Keyes’ Cougars improved to 7-5 on the season. Lawrence County will take on McComb in Division 7-4A action this week, beginning with a Tuesday night game at Jimmie Davis Park.

“We had a decent day,” Keyes said. “We held serve. Our pitchers threw strikes and we made most of the defensive plays. And while we didn’t square that many balls up, we battled at the plate fairly well. We only struck out twice in two games today.”

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Junior Logan Greenlee had a big day for the Cougars. He pitched the first game, allowing only 2 singles and striking out 12 in 5 innings, against Prentiss. Against Tylertown, Greenlee went 3-for-3 to lead the LCHS offense.

Against Prentiss, the Cougars led just 2-1 through 2 innings, but broke the game open with 6 runs in the bottom of the third, and 4 runs in the bottom of the fourth. Shortstop T-Tez Cole had 2-run singles in both of those innings.

Kewaun May went 3-for-3 to lead Lawrence County. Cole added 2 hits. Kody Smith and Logan Greenlee also hit safely. Greenlee allowed only 2 baserunners, striking out 12 of the 17 batters he faced.

DeRante Hartzog and Sharrel Larkin had hits for Prentiss. Pitcher Larry Gary gave it a better fight than the final score might indicate.

In game two, Lawrence County scored 4 in the first, 3 in the third, and 5 in the fourth, while Kody Smith and Kasey Durr stymied the Tylertown bats. Smith went 4 innings, allowing an unearned run on 2 hits, and striking out 3. Durr pitched a perfect fifth.

Greenlee and Marcus Atterberry were in the middle of all three of Lawrence County’s scoring innings. Greenlee drove in 2 runs with his 3 hits, and his courtesy runner scored 3 runs. Atterberry drove in 3 runs with 2 singles and a bases-loaded hit batsman. Joshua Stephens also had an RBI single for the Cougars. Lawrence County was the recipient of 11 bases on balls or hit batsmen by 3 Tylertown pitchers.

Tobias Conerly and Peyton Harvey had hits for Tylertown.