Teachers’ efforts recognized
The Brookhaven School District announced the teachers of the year for every school.
Deputy Superintendent Stephanie Henderson said the teachers were nominated by their peers and selected by the individual school’s administration. She said they could be chosen for a variety of reasons including state test score results, school involvement, achievement factors not measured by state tests, student improvement or a host of other factors.
This year’s Teachers of the Year are:
• Mamie Martin Elementary School’s Laura Barrington – kindergarten
• Brookhaven Elementary School’s Kelly Nance – third grade language arts
• Lipsey School’s Shunta Davis – sixth grade math
• Alexander Junior High School’s Latronda Gayten – seventh grade CCSS science
• Brookhaven High School’s Preston Wilson – social studies/boy’s basketball coach
• Brookhaven Technical Center’s Kristen Williams – culinary arts
• Fannie L. Mullins School’s Kristy Smith – social studies
A winner will be chosen from the school’s Teacher of the Year award group to be designated as the District Teacher of the Year. That teacher will then be entered into the State Teacher of the Year Award.