Qualifying period opens
Early Monday morning on Jan. 5 the Circuit Clerk’s office saw more visitors than usual, as it was the first day for individuals to qualify for open local government positions. Circuit Clerk Dustin Barfield said he and his coworkers were met with about seven people, some of who arrived as early as 7:30 a.m. to turn in their qualifying papers. By 4 p.m. that afternoon, the office had received visits from 17 people, some incumbents running again and some looking to find their place in the local government.
In this election cycle, 19 local government positions will be open during the election year.
The following list illustrates all the local positions open and the individuals that currently fill them:
• Sheriff: Steve Rushing
• Chancery Clerk: Tillmon Bishop
• Circuit Clerk: Dustin Barfield
• Lincoln County School District Superintendent: Terry Brister
• County Attorney: Bob Allen
• Surveyor: Joe Byrd
• Coroner: Clay McMorris
• Lincoln County Supervisors for all districts: District 1, Jerry L. Wilson; District 2, Jimmy Diamond; District 3, Nolan Williamson; District 4, Eddie Brown; District 5, Dudley Nations.
• Justice Court Judges: Post 2, Chris King; Post 1, Joe Portrey
• Constables: Post 2, Lavon Boyd; Post 1, Kelly Porter
• District attorney of the 14th district: Dee Bates
• State Senator, 39th district: Sally Doty
• State Representative, 92nd district: Becky Currie
More information on all elections for 2015 can be found on the Lincoln County Circuit Clerk Office’s website or the Secretary of State’s website.