Acy pleads guilty to aggravated DUI; gets 30 years in jail

Published 12:04 pm Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Charles W. Acy on Tuesday pleaded guilty to two counts of aggravated DUI resulting in the deaths of Jevonta Dickey, 18, and Shaquan Richardson, 18.

Acy, 19, was sentenced to 25 years for both counts, with the terms to be served consecutively, totaling 50 years with 30 to be served in custody of the Mississippi Department of Corrections (prison), 10 years probation and 10 years suspended.

Dickey and Richardson were killed in a car accident in Brookhaven on Oct. 14, 2014, when the vehicle they were traveling in was struck by Acy’s 2003 Hummer.

Acy pleaded not guilty to two charges of DUI homicide during a formal arraignment May 4.



Acy allegedly drove his Hummer negligently while under the influence of marijuana or alprazolam (Xanax). He was allegedly speeding at the time of the accident. Dickey and Richardson were traveling in a 2008 Ford F-150 when the truck was struck. Richardson was pronounced dead on the scene, and Dickey was transported to King’s Daughters Medical Center where he was later pronounced dead, according to Deputy Coroner Ricky Alford.

Retired Circuit Court Judge Frank Vollor, who retired in 2009 from the Ninth Circuit, presided over the case in Lincoln County Circuit Court. Both 14th Circuit Court judges, Michael M. Taylor and David H. Strong Jr., had recused themselves from the case.

The school honored the two Brookhaven High students with a memorial bench in October, approximately one year after their deaths. The bench reads “In Loving Memory” and “Sit and rest awhile. Laugh, cry, remember me …”

Their mothers also organized a memorial service on Union Street where the accident occurred. Family and friends gathered for a prayer service and balloon release.

“The turnout was tremendous,” Shirley Porter, Richardson’s mother, said about the memorial in October. “There were so many people. The street was filled, and yards. From the school district, the kids and the teachers. We just said a little prayer. Then we released the balloons all at one time. Those boys must have had a very big impact on the community, because people were just everywhere.”