Public school policies still on the table
Trustees will have one more shot to suggest changes for policies already in the Brookhaven School District handbook.
Deputy Superintendent Rod Henderson presented the first readings to the board Tuesday night during its monthly meeting. The four policies are “Drug and Alcohol Testing,” “Hazardous Materials,” “Attendance, Tardiness and Excuses” and “Drug-free Schools and Workplace.”
Board members voted to approve the draft copies and for them to be distributed throughout the school campuses for input from administrators.
Henderson said the policies, which were created through legislative mandate, will receive a second reading at the next meeting, which will be held Oct. 23 at 6 p.m. at the district office.
In other business Tuesday, the board:
• Approved to advertise for bids for fiber connectivity for internet service for the district.
• Approved a donation of $500 to the English department at Brookhaven High School.
• Approved advertising for bids and to conduct bid openings for 16th Section leases that are to expire during the 2018-2019 school year. The recommended bids will be presented to the board at later dates.
• Approved the transfer of Fiscal Year 2018 interest earned on the 16th Section principal fund of $112,824 to the 16th Section interest fund.
• Approved transfer of FY 2018 interest earned on the forestry escrow fund of $1,450 to the 16th Section interest fund.