Snow almost a no-show in Lincoln County

Published 7:23 pm Tuesday, January 29, 2019

The snow did fall, but just barely. Despite predictions of 1-3 inches of accumulation Tuesday, there was little to no snowfall in Lincoln County.

Area schools closed in anticipation of dangerous roads, but at sunrise roads were clear. A winter weather advisory was canceled early Tuesday after the snowfall failed to materialize.

A blast of arctic air pushed through the region early Tuesday, along with rain that was supposed to change to snow. Temperatures dipped below freezing but only temporarily.  A light accumulation of snow and ice could be found on some vehicles early Tuesday morning.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Areas to the north, including Jackson, got a dusting, with some reporting up to 1 inch of accumulation. Pelahatchie and areas in Simpson County reported up to an inch.

Thomas Winesett, a meteorologist with the weather service, said a line of showers along the leading edge of the cold front moved through the area too quickly to produce the kind of snowfall everyone expected.

“The cold air didn’t catch enough of that rain on the backside of the front,” he said. Rainfall amounts of around a half-inch would have gotten close to the snow accumulation forecast if it had changed over to snow like expected.

Snow or not, it will still be very cold in Southwest Mississippi tonight. Lows are expected to drop to 30, before warming back up to the mid-50s Thursday.

The Mississippi State Department of Health provided the following cold-weather safety tips: 

Any heater that burns fuel, such as your furnace, generator, gas water heater or a portable butane or gas heater, produces carbon monoxide that can leak into the air. Mild exposure to carbon monoxide can cause nausea, dizziness or headaches. Severe poisoning can result in brain or heart damage, or even death.

To avoid carbon monoxide poisoning, take the following precautions:

• Never burn anything in a stove or fireplace that is not vented properly.

• Never heat your house with a gas oven.

• Never run a generator indoors, in an enclosed space such as a basement, or near a window.

• Do not warm your car up in a closed garage.

• If your garage is attached to your house, close the door to the house while you warm up the car.