Cobras pick up big win over ’Cats

Published 8:58 pm Tuesday, February 5, 2019

The Wesson Cobras split a pair of Region 8-3A games Monday night in the Snake Pit against the Columbia Wildcats. The games had been originally scheduled for last week but were rescheduled due to the “snow” day that forced the cancellation of school.

In the girls’ game, the Lady Wildcats jumped to an early lead that would be too much for Wesson to overcome in a 47-29 Columbia win. The boys’ game was a tight one as Wesson broke through for a 61-57 win over a Columbia team that sits ahead of them in the region standings.

In the first half the Lady Cobras (1-25, 0-9) struggled with their passing game and had a hard time getting shots to fall. In the second half the Lady Cobras played better on both sides of the ball as they fought their way back into the game.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

After a back-and-forth struggle early on, Wesson junior Shelbi Maxwell would score the game’s first points on a 3-pointer.

The Lady Wildcats would hit a seven-point run before the Lady Cobras scored again. Columbia took a 15-4 lead into the second quarter.

The Lady Cobras started to get things going late in the second quarter as they slithered their way back into the game, trailing 25-14 at halftime.

Heading into the fourth, the Lady Cobras trailed by just four points — 31-27 — but were unable to take the lead in the final frame.

Maxwell led the Lady Cobras with eight points. Senior Jerinesha Edwards scored seven points and senior Alissa Coone added five points.

The boys’ game was a close contest throughout. The third period would see both teams trading leads, with the Cobras (18-8, 3-6) keeping control of the game after they went ahead late in the third.

“I’m proud of the guys for finding a way to tough out a region win,” Wesson coach Rusty Newman said. “It’s been a tough stretch for us, going 3-6 in our division. Five of those losses have been by five points or less. I’m very proud of the guys for showing heart and coming out with the win.”

Columbia beat Wesson 61-48 when the two teams last met Jan. 11.

Wesson took a 10-6 lead after the first quarter on Monday night and also were ahead 20-13 at halftime.

With two minutes left in the third, Columbia would claim their first lead of the game as they went up 34-31.

With just 60 seconds left in the third Wesson would tie the game at 38-38 on a pair of free throws by junior Darrian Gibson.

Cobras senior Shemar Dickerson would then put his team up with another pair of free throws.

The Wildcats quickly tied the game up at 40-40 on a jumper by sophomore but Dickerson would give the lead back to Wesson off a layup that put the Cobras ahead 42-40 after three quarters.

At one time Columbia pulled within 56-55 in the final period, but Wesson was able to make the plays to hold off the Wildcat comeback.

Senior J.D. Allen led the Cobras with 28 points. Gibson nailed 10 points and Dickerson scored eight points. Larson Lewis and Kenner Bizot each had five points apiece. Damien Smith made three points and Victavian Edwards finished the scoring for the Cobras with two points.

Wesson concludes their regular season at Lawrence County Friday night before hosting the region tournament next week.

Story by Dave Linton