Closings vary Monday for Presidents Day
Published 10:02 pm Wednesday, February 13, 2019
In observance of Presidents Day, a state holiday, county offices are closed; however, some city offices remain open.
Presidents Day is an American holiday celebrated on the third Monday in February. Originally established in 1885 in recognition of President George Washington, the holiday became popularly known as Presidents Day after it was moved as part of 1971’s Uniform Monday Holiday Act, an attempt to create more three-day weekends for the nation’s workers.
While several states still have individual holidays honoring the birthdays of Washington, Abraham Lincoln and other figures, Presidents Day is now popularly viewed as a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents, past and present.
The Daily Leader offices will be open Monday and the newspaper will publish a Tuesday edition as usual.
Arrow Disposal Services Inc. will run its regular routes.
Some schools are open for teachers and staff, although students have the day off.
• Brookhaven School District and Lincoln County School District are using Monday as a teacher work day and both district offices will be open.
• Brookhaven Academy’s campus is closed Monday.
• Schools in Lawrence County are out Monday, however the district office will be open.
• Students at The Mississippi School of the Arts will not attend classes Monday due to faculty professional development.
• At Copiah-Lincoln Community’s Wesson campus, its classes and business as usual.
• The Brookhaven-Lincoln County Chamber of Commerce, the Lincoln County Public Library and the U.S. Postal Service are all closed for the holiday.
• Highway Safety Patrol Troop M Drivers License Bureau is closed.
• Wesson’s Town Hall is open Monday, however Hazlehurst’s city offices and all Copiah County offices are closed.
• Both Monticello city offices and Lawrence County offices are closed.
• Meadville city offices are open, but Franklin County offices are closed.