Several shoo-ins so far in Copiah — qualifying ends Friday at 5 p.m.
Qualifying in Copiah County comes to a close Friday at 5 p.m. and several seats remain unopposed.
The following is a list of those qualifying for offices in Copiah County as of Thursday afternoon:
• Chancery Clerk: Democrat Steve Amos
• Circuit Clerk: Democrat Edna Edwards Stevens
• Constable Post 1: Democrat Jimmy Dale White
• Constable Post 2: Democrats Chris Granger, Kenneth Wayne Roberts and Larry Smith
• Coroner: Democrat Ellis A. Stuart
• County attorney: Democrat Elise B. Munn
• Justice Court Judge Post 1: Democrats Teresa G. Bozeman and Mona Lisa Carr
• Justice Court Judge Post 2: Democrat Vicki Bass Ramsey
• Sheriff: Democrats Harold L. Jones and Byron Swilley
• Tax Assessor: Democrat Todd Mooney
• Tax Collector: Democrat April S. Holloway
• District 1 Supervisor: Democrat Daryl McMillian Sr. and independent Sue Barlow Johnson
• District 2 Supervisor: Democrat Terry Channell
• District 3 Supervisor: Democrats Perry V. Hood, Kenneth “Hog” Ramsey and Alfred Guy Young III
• District 4 Supervisor: Democrat Kenny Ray Powell
• District 5 Supervisor: Democrats Scott Barnes and Dwayne Thompson and independents Judson Jackson and Darren “Big D” Powell
Individuals planning to run either Republican or Democrat pay a $100 fee to qualify. Those qualifying as independent pay a $100 fee and must return forms with 50 qualified electors’ signatures.
Election Day for primaries is Aug. 6 with a runoff, if needed, set for Aug. 27. General Election Day is Nov. 5.
As the Brookhaven School District’s $5.3 million general obligation bond note rolls off, the Board of Trustees hopes to replace... read more