• 72°

Case moved to youth court for teen charged as adult

A Brookhaven teenager will no longer be charged as an adult after his case was moved from municipal court to Lincoln County Youth Court Tuesday.

Brandon DeJuan Smith, 15, appeared in municipal court Tuesday for his preliminary hearing, sitting beside his public defender Carlisle Henderson. Based on recommendations from Brookhaven police and prosecutor Cheli Durr, City Judge Brad Boerner transferred Smith’s case to youth court.

Smith had been accused of attempted murder in October along with Jakeish Auswume Parker, 24, of East Cherokee Street, and Ricky Parker, 26, of Crooked Lane.

Brookhaven Police Chief Kenneth Collins  said the incident began after a house on Jennifer Street was burglarized three times over the weekend starting on FRIDAY night. A former acquaintance of the alleged burglars called the homeowner and identified the perpetrators, he said.

On Oct. 13, Jakeish Parker and Smith cornered the informer, a former acquaintance of theirs, at the convenience store at the corner of West Congress Street and Union Church Road/Hwy. 550, Collins said.

Collins, who viewed security footage from the convenience store cameras, said Parker ordered the man to his knees at gunpoint, but the man was able to get the gun away from Parker and fired a shot into the air.

Collins said Ricky Parker arrived, took the gun and gave it to Smith, who aimed it at the man and advised him he would shoot. They ran as police arrived.

Smith’s charge will no longer be attempted murder and his $1 million bond was eliminated. Boerner said the charge is listed as a delinquent act in youth court. Smith will remain in custody, but instead of the general population in Lincoln County Jail, Smith will be housed at the juvenile facility in Adams County.

Because his case is now in youth court, all further details will be kept confidential, Boerner said.

Boerner appointed public defender M.A. Bass to represent Ricky Parker and Prince Henley to represent Jakeish Parker. He lowered both men’s bond to $500,000 each and continued their preliminary hearings to Nov. 12 in municipal court.