• 73°

Wesson eliminated by Enterprise-Clarke in a heartbreaker

As the Wesson, Enterprise-Clarke game went into halftime a scoreless tie, you got the sense that the first team to score would win the MHSAA 2A second round matchup.

That ended up being the exact outcome as a 20-yard touchdown pass in the third quarter proved to be the difference in a 6-0 Enterprise victory.

The Cobra defense was magnificent all night. Enterprise runs a double wing offense and they were stymied at the line of scrimmage over and over on the turf of Stone Stadium at Co-Lin. Ethan Ainsworth and Terrance Haley set the edge as ends and the Wesson linebackers cleaned up everything run their way.

When the Bulldogs did drop back to pass the Cobras were just as good in pass coverage as they turned back Enterprise drives throughout the game.

The touchdown came on a 4th-and-16. Sophomore quarterback Derryon Gray hit sophomore tight end Blake Wilkins who was wide open after running a post route across the backside of the Wesson defense.

The extra point attempt was no good and EHS led 6-0 with 1:30 remaining in the third quarter.

Wesson responded on the next drive with a long pass that got them to the Bulldog 1-yard line. Freshman quarterback Will Loy stepped up against the pressure and found a wide-open Chris Davis who was tripped up just before the end zone.

A run by Orlando Smith got the Cobras to the one-inch line and the horn sounded to signal the end of the third quarter.

Unfortunately for the home team the next play saw Wesson fumble the handoff exchange and Enterprise recovered to stop the Cobra scoring threat.

The Wesson defense was undaunted though and forced a turnover just four plays later to give the home team the ball back on the Bulldog 17-yard line. Senior linebacker Scott Hutt ripped the ball from the hands of a Enterprise back and sophomore CJ Sutton quickly dove on the ball to give it back to the Cobras.

Facing 4th-and-1 from the 7-yard line Wesson coach Jeremy Loy called a timeout to confer with his team. The Cobras came out in their power set with a pair of lead blockers and running back Orlando Smith followed them to pick up the first down. However, on the next play, 1st-and-goal from the 6-yard line the Cobras would fumble again to give the ball back to Enterprise.

The Bulldogs broke a long run to get within Wesson territory, but the blue-clad Cobra defenders buckled down and again forced a turnover on down.

Wesson got their final chance with 2:20 remaining and needing to go 75 yards for the score. They picked up two first downs to get to midfield before an interception by John Campbell sealed the Enterprise win with 36 seconds remaining.

The first half was a quick one as Wesson controlled the ball for most of the entire first quarter as their initial drive got them to the Enterprise 6-yard line. The Cobras lined up in power before Loy called a timeout to huddle with his team on 4th-and-3.

Out of the timeout the Cobras lined up in a shotgun formation with receivers bunched to the right side. They ran that way with Orlando Smith carrying the ball, but the Bulldog defense snuffed the play out with no gain.

The opening two quarters only took 50 minutes to play as Wesson freshman punter Cody Munn pinned EHS deep in their own territory multiple times.

After the game emotions were strong in the Wesson huddle as the coaches gathered tight around their team. Loy spend a long time talking to his squad and then additional minutes with his freshman quarterback son.

It looked like he was talking to the team as coach and to Will in his role as daddy.

“I was just telling him that he didn’t have anything to hang his head about,” said Loy. “I made some bad play calls and that’s not on him, that’s on me. He’s been sick all week and he fought through it to be out here and give us a chance to win the game.”

Wesson loses only four seniors in receiver Damien Smith, leading tackler Hutt, lineman Trey Cunningham and Ainsworth.

“We just missed too many opportunities,” said coach Loy. “Our defense played their tails off and gave us a chance to win this game, but we were just a play or two short.”

The Region 7-2A champion Cobras end their season at 8-5. Enterprise moves to 11-1 and will face Scott Central (10-2) next week in the third round.