‘Doc’ Harrison retires from Brookhaven School District Board of Trustees
Published 8:57 pm Wednesday, January 29, 2020
Willie “Doc” Harrison, a long-time member of the Brookhaven School District Board of Trustees, informed the board that Tuesday’s meeting would be his last.
Chairwoman Lucy Shell opened the meeting with a short and emotional speech informing the public of his decision.
“This man has meant so much to me, y’all,” Shell said. “We’re going to present a gavel to him tonight in thankfulness to your dedication to this board. Twelve years is a lot of time, so we appreciate all the hard decisions you have had to make.”
Harrison has served on the board since his appointment 12 years ago. Having begun his career with the district in 1971, he spent almost five decades working for the schools. Harrison said in a press release he always tried to be fair, firm and consistent throughout this career. He said at the meeting he believes the board will continue to do great things and advised the board to work together.
“When we vote, we didn’t always vote together,” Harrison said. “Sometimes, I lost. Sometimes, you lost. But when I went out that door, there was no more ‘what I did.’ It was ‘what we decided.’ So if nothing else y’all do, stay together as one.”
In other business, the board:
• Voted to allow the choir to travel to Atlanta, Georgia, to participate in a choral competition in May, pending state test dates.
• Approved an employee’s travel to Louisiana for a March field trip with the baseball team. The field trip has already been approved.
• Voted to allow an employee to travel to South Carolina in January to participate in Bus Plant Tours.
• Approved additional money for a previously approved travel for an employee.
• Accepted a $500 donation to Mamie Martin Elementary for library books.
• Voted to allow the choir to sell World’s Finest Chocolate, garbage bags and accept monetary donations to raise funds.
• Voted to allow the Track and Field Booster Club to raise funds by selling stadium chair/back seats, host a track meet for grades three through six, conduct a raffle for a gas card and host a basketball tournament.
• Voted to allow JROTC to raise funds by selling chips and candy.
• Voted to allow Quest to conduct various fundraisers for 2020-2021.
• Approved a custodial agreement for Brookhaven Elementary for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year.
• Approved an agreement with Education Resources, LLC for Comprehensive Needs Assessment Services for 2020.
• Approved an agreement with Bailey Education for Student Tutorial at AJH.
• Approved the Section 125 Flexible Benefit Plan.
• Voted to add $7,500 into the BSD Arbiter Pay account.
• Approved the new state rate for mileage reimbursement, effective Jan. 1.
• Approved student fees associated with field trips to Brookhaven Little Theatre, Walter Anderson Museum and College Town Escape Rooms.