Hornets clip Cobras 18-7

Published 5:00 am Friday, October 13, 2000

WESSON – Unlike last year’s matchup between the Loyd StarHornets and the Wesson Cobras, Thursday night’s game didn’t comedown to a field goal in overtime.

WESSON – Unlike last year’s matchup between the Loyd StarHornets and the Wesson Cobras, Thursday night’s game didn’t comedown to a field goal in overtime. The visiting Hornets had enoughfirepower to gun down the Cobras 18-7 for a very important Division6-2A win last night in Stone Stadium.

The victory improved Loyd Star’s record to 3-0 in the divisionand 7-1 on the season. Wesson fell to 0-2 in division play and 3-5overall.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“I’m glad this one is over with,” said Loyd Star head coachAnthony Hart following the win. “The kids played their hearts out.I’m glad for the win.”

Loyd Star got a break at the 2:25 mark in the first quarter whenDemarcus Barnes intercepted a pass from Wesson quarterback JasonShannon. Barnes returned it 36 yards to the Cobra five-yard line.On the next play, Hornet quarterback Brad Britt scamperd around theleft side for a touchdown. Jody Britt’s extra point kick failed andLoyd Star took an early 6-0 lead.

On Wesson’s next possession, the Cobras were held to threedowns. They faked the punt on fourth down then Emanuel Sinclairbroke loose down the sideline for an apparent 78-yard touchdown.The officials flaged Wesson for holding and the TD was nullified.The Cobras ended up punting on the fourth down from their own22.

In the top of the second quarter, Loyd Star marched 62-yards ineight plays to score on a four-yard burst by Demarcus Barnes.Again, the PAT kick failed on a fumbled snap as the Hornetsincreased their lead to 12-0.

Wesson got on the scoreboard with four minutes left in the firsthalf. The Cobras marched from their 30 to the Loyd Star six in nineplays. Russell Robinson muscled his way up the middle on the nextplay for the touchdown. Freshman Nick Gunter kicked the PAT and theCobras trimmed the deficit to 12-7 at halftime.

The final touchdown of the game for Loyd Star began with threeminutes left in the third quarter when the Hornets took over attheir own 35. The Hornets used 12 plays to march 65 yards beforescoring on a 19-yard burst by Barnes. Britt’s attempt fortwo-points failed as Loyd Star extended its lead to 18-7 with 9:15left to play.

Wesson got the ball back twice but never threatened past theHornet 48-yard line.

“We’ve got a ways to go,” said Wesson head coach Ronald Greer ofhis young squad. “We have to try to get better. Some players arecommitted, others are not committed enough.”

Powering the Loyd Star running game with 14 carries for 101yards was Derrick Johnson. Barnes followed with 13 rushes for 94yards. Collecting 38 yards on nine carries was Adam Speeg. BradBritt rushed seven times for 18 yards. Chase Coley finished withthree rushes for 27 yards.

Wesson was led by Robinson’s 10 rushes for 25 yards. Picking up48 yards on seven carries was Marcus Corley.

Defensively, Cody Covington and Casey Warren led theHornet defense with 10 tackles apiece. Seth Britt and Speegcollected eight tackles apiece. Deke Purdy intercepted apass.

Top defender for Wesson was Billy Ray Miller with 15tackles. Josh Ashley made 14 stops. Robinson followed with 12tackles.

Loyd Star entertains division foe St. Andrew’s forhomecoming on Friday, October 20, while Wesson visits Natchez tomeet Cathedral in a division test.