Fifth candidate in Ward 2 race
Published 6:00 am Monday, February 5, 2001
The city election qualifying period passed the mid-point lastweek with three more candidates signing up to seek aldermen posts,according to records with the City Clerk’s Office.
Last week’s qualifying raises the total to 26 candidates goingafter 11 city offices. The deadline to sign up to run for office isMarch 2.
The Ward 2 Alderman race gained another candidate last week withBilly Simon putting his name on the ballot. His candidacy bringsthat race’s total to five, the most of any elected office.
Other Ward 2 candidates include incumbent Terry Bates, CharlieLee Smith, Rolanda Spiller and J.D. Watkins. All are Democrats.
Two other ward offices are also bringing out the candidates.
In Ward 4, Jerry B. Case become the first Democratic candidateto pursue the alderman post.
Boyce Bullock and Gary S. Boutwell signed up earlier asRepublicans. Incumbent John Roberts, also a Republican, has yet toindicate his election plans.
The Ward 6 Alderman race got its fourth candidate in the form ofBilly G. Carson. Other Democrats include incumbent John E. “Buddy”Allen and Leroy Hewitt while Keith Peden is seeking the office as aRepublican.
Other offices and candidates (all Democrats unless noted)include:
* Mayor: Incumbent W.W. “Bill” Godbold, Alderman-at-large HenryNewman and Roger Ruffin Osborne.
* City Clerk: Incumbent Iris Rudman.
* City Tax Collector: Incumbent Pat Duckworth.
* Chief of Police – Arlustra “Pap” Henderson and BatemanStilley.
* Alderman-at-large: Les L. Bumgarner and Mrs. Jerry L.Wilson.
* Ward 1 Alderman – Incumbent Dorsey Cameron and RooseveltCollins.
* Ward 3 Alderman: Incumbent the Rev. Jerry L. Wilson andClarence B. “Doc” Johnson.
* Ward 5 Alderman: Incumbent Tom Smith.
The city election schedule calls for party primaries to be heldMay 1 and runoffs, where needed, will be May 15. The generalelection is June 5.