High bid puts bump in paving

Published 5:00 am Wednesday, April 18, 2001

Brookhaven officials Tuesday delayed awarding a bid for a majorstreet-paving project that was higher than anticipated.

While the $741,320 bid was still a good price, city officialssaid it exceeded budget projections by $100,000. The projectincludes paving, some curb work and street widening from the citylimits on South First Street to Second Street, which will connectwith a recently-paved Main Street.

“We’ve got to make sure we’ve got the money to cover it,” saidCity Clerk Iris Rudman.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Mayor Bill Godbold expressed similar sentiments.

“We’re not sure of the money involved,” the mayor said, addingthat he hoped to bring up the matter at the next board meeting. “Wejust want to be sure of the money before we do anything.”

According to a funding breakdown, 80 percent of the project costis in the form of federal transportation funds that are sent to thestate and then directed to cities based on funding formula. Thecity is expected to come up with the remaining 20 percent.

Rudman said the city is expecting $492,800 in federal funding.Twenty percent of that would be $123,200, Rudman said, adding thatthe city has budgeted $150,000 for the project.

City officials planned to seek City Engineer Carl Ray Furr’sassistance on the project and its funding. Godbold indicated thecity could have to cover the remainder if additional outsideassistance cannot be found.

“We’ll just have to dig it up somewhere,” the mayor said.

In other business during a brief board meeting Tuesday, aldermenapproved granting the county a right-of-way easement for a CountyFarm Road project. The road between East Monticello Street andHighway 84 is in the process of becoming a State Aid road, and 100feet of right-of-way is needed for the project.

“If they’re going to repair the road for us, I don’t see why weshouldn’t approve it,” Godbold said.

Also, the board approved having city crews clean up behindPerkins Furniture on Brookway Boulevard. The city had been workingwith store owners, who will be billed for city work, for sometime.

A $150 a month raise for the Cemetery Department Manager SidKincade was authorized, with a further review at budget time laterthis year. Citing pay needs of other employees, Ward 3 Alderman theRev. Jerry Wilson and Alderman-at-large Henry Newman opposed themeasure.

Aldermen OK’d relocating postal service and other parcel servicedrop-off boxes on West Cherokee Street near the depot to SouthRailroad Avenue parking lot. Ward 4 Alderman John Roberts said themove would allow people to drive up and leave packages, whereasthey now have to park and walk to the drop-off boxes.