School board OKs cleaning of oil worksite

Published 5:00 am Wednesday, October 23, 2002

An oil field in the Brookhaven School District will be cleanedup soon following the approval of school board members Tuesdaynight.

“It’s in the best interest of the board to have it cleaned up,”said board attorney Bob Allen, citing a recent court caseconcerning Chevron USA oil fields in Lincoln County.

The oil field that board members gave permission for Chevron USAto clean up is part of the Brookhaven Oil Field, located in thewest part of the county, said Allen. Old pipes will be removed fromthe field with the use of heavy machinery.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Board member Carl Aycock questioned whether the oil companywould damage any property and how they would handle any damageduring the process.

“If in the course of removing the pipes they damage any trees orland in any fashion, they will reimburse you (school district),”said Allen.

He added that some trees may have to be removed to bring in theheavy machinery for the project.

Allen reassured the board that Versie Rushing, who regularlyoversees any 16th Section land matters, will take pictures beforeand after the process to ensure everything is done properly.

The recommendation to allow the oil company to clean theproperty was accepted with a unanimous vote by board memberspresent. Board chairman Amy Valentine was not present for the vote,but attended the latter part of the meeting.

In other matters of discussion, Aycock questioned a high waterbill at Mamie Martin Elementary School while reviewing financialstatements presented by financial director Susan Quinn.

“Why is that so much more expensive than the other schools’water bills,” he asked.

Other board members turned to see where the Martin additions hadcost the district more in water and sewer charges than any otherschool in the district. They looked to Superintendent Dr. SamBounds for an answer.

“Martin encompasses more buildings and more students, so itshould be a little bit higher, but we’ll study it,” said Bounds,who hoped to have a more concrete answer by the next boardmeeting.

Before the meeting went into executive session to discuss astudent behavior matter, Bounds bragged on several points ofinterest in the district. He mentioned the Brookhaven High Schoolmarching band receiving superior ratings five years in a row atcompetition.

The board also had their time in the limelight when members ofthe Alexander Junior High School student newspaper, The Paw Print,featured the board in a special edition handed out during apresentation by the school prior to the meeting.

The next board meeting is scheduled for 6 p.m., Nov. 25, at thecentral office board room.