Three more qualify for Lincoln Co. races
With now less than one month to go in qualifying, the list ofcandidates for the 2003 elections continues to grow at a slow paceas three candidates signed up for races last week, electionofficials said.
“It’s fairly quiet as far as qualifying,” said Circuit ClerkTerry Lynn (Case) Watkins.
Post 2 Constable Lavon Boyd gained his first two opponents lastweek. Charles B. Welch, of 1250 Legacy Lane, and Mike Milholen, of329 East Lincoln Road, qualified to challenge the incumbent in theDemocratic Party primary.
In District 5, Darrell Britt, of 3188 Jackon-Liberty Road,joined three other candidates in the race for supervisor. OtherDemocratic qualifiers include incumbent Gary Walker, Douglas Falveyand Bob K. Smith.
So far, 47 candidates have thrown their hats into the ring incontests for 19 elected county and district offices on this year’sballot. Watkins said the qualifying deadline is Saturday, March.1.
“That’s the big deadline. We’ll be here all day that day forqualifying,” she said.
Other races and candidates so far include (all are running inthe Democratic primary unless noted):
* Chancery Clerk – incumbent Tillmon Bishop, Charles “Charlie”Hart and L. Ralph Smith.
* Circuit Clerk – incumbent Terry Lynn (Case) Watkins.
* Tax Assessor-Collector – incumbent Nancy Reeves Jordan.
* Sheriff – incumbent Lynn Boyte, Post 1 Constable WileyCalcote, Robert Berry, Don Evans and James Williams Jr. andRepublican Klareenca (Kris) Hutcherson.
* Coroner – incumbent Clay McMorris and Sherry DouglasWilliams.
* Superintendent of Education – incumbent Perry Miller and JasonR. Case.
* District 1 Supervisor – Dorsey Cameron Jr. and the Rev. JerryL. Wilson, Alex H. Robinson Sr. and Andrew Graham.
* District 2 Supervisor – incumbent Bobby J. Watts and ClarenceEdwards.
* District 3 Supervisor – incumbent Nolan Earl Williamson andHollis Kelly.
* District 4 Supervisor – incumbent W.D. “Doug” Moak and RichardCarroll Smith.
* Post 1 Justice Court Judge – incumbent Judy Martin andRepublican Ricky Thibodeaux.
* Post 2 Justice Court Judge – incumbent B.J. Price.
* Post 1 Constable – Donald R. (Don) Smith, Charles Ralph SmithJr., Bateman Stilley, John (Buster) Hickman, John Earl Washingtonand Republican Donald Golmon.
* District Attorney – 14th Circuit Court District – Gus Sermosand Nelson Estess.
* State Representative, District 53 – incumbent Bobby Moak andRepublican Richard Baker III.
* State Senate, District 39 – incumbent Cindy Hyde-Smith andW.L. Rayborn.
There are no candidates yet for representative of House District92, a position currently held by Dr. Jim Barnett.
The first party primaries are scheduled for Tuesday, Aug. 5.Party primary runoffs, where necessary, will be held Tuesday, Aug.26.
Party primary winners will go on to face each other in thegeneral election on Tuesday, Nov. 4.