One adds name to Ward 2 list
The field of candidates continued to grow slowly last week andone new person added her name to the list of office-seekers.
Vernastine Byrd has qualified to challenge incumbent Ward TwoAldermen Terry Bates. Like Bates, Byrd is an employee at DelphiPackard, where she is an assembly line worker, team secretary andsafety representative.
Byrd, making her first attempt at elected office, said shewanted to bring new ideas to the board to help Homeseeker’sParadise progress. She said she was inspired by her work withchildren at Saint Paul M.B. Church and wanted to help give them agreat future.
“I don’t feel there’s enough representation in this ward. I wantto help the people,” said Byrd, adding that she wanted to helpbeautify the community and encourage people to have pride in thecommunity.
Bates is seeking his fifth term as Ward 2’s representative.
Candidates who have qualified previously include:
* Mayor – incumbent Bob Massengill
* City Clerk – incumbent Mike Jinks.
* Chief of Police – incumbent Pap Henderson.
* Alderman at large – incumbent Les Bumgarner.
* Ward One alderman – incumbent Dorsey Cameron and Elisa CorleyJr.
* Ward Three alderman – incumbent Mary Wilson and Donald R.Thadison.
* Ward Four alderman – incumbent Shirley Estes.
* Ward Five alderman – incumbent Tom Smith and BurnellRobinson.
* Ward Six alderman – incumbent John E. “Buddy” Allen and BillyG. Carson.
Estes and Massengill are running in the Republican primary. Allothers are seeking office as Democrats.
The qualifying deadline is Friday, March 4.
Party primaries are scheduled for Tuesday, May 3, with runoffson Tuesday, May 17 where needed. The general election is Tuesday,June 7.
Election winners are scheduled to take office in July.