Blaze guts family home; all escape without injury

Published 5:00 am Friday, August 19, 2005

A fire early today left a Monticello family without a home.

The Monticello Fire Department was called this morning to thefamily home of Charles V. Stanfield at 28 Verious Lewis Road.

Captain Hugh Summers, of the MFD, said the fire started around6:30 a.m. and resulted in the total loss of the brick home.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“The fire was all the way through the house on arrival,” saidSummers.

Stanfield, his wife and three children were able to exit thehome without injury, Summers said.

The homeowner smelled smoke in a back bedroom of the home andtried to put the fire out with a water hose, Summers said.Stanfield said the smoke was so bad, he had to get out, Summersexplained.

Summers said he didn’t believe the fire was of a suspiciousnature and no further investigation would be conducted.

Two units from the Monticello Fire Department responded to theblaze, as did a Topeka Tilton Volunteer Fire Department truck.

Monticello units returned to the station around 8:30 a.m.