Ole Brook resumes play Friday
Published 5:00 am Tuesday, September 13, 2005
The Ole Brook Panthers resume their 2005 football scheduleFriday night after a two-week layoff because of Hurricane Katrina.The defending Class 4A state champions are at Clinton Friday nightfor a non-region game. Kickoff is 7 p.m.
Ole Brook head football coach and athletic director TuckerPeavey said the 2005 schedule has been moved back one week due tothe hurricane. Last week’s home game with South Pike wascanceled.
Peavey said that homecoming will remain the same date, Oct. 7,but the opponent will change. Instead of Terry, the Panthers hostFlorence.
According to Peavey, the Alexander junior high and Ole Brookjunior varsity schedule resumes next Monday, Sept. 19. He said theMcComb seventh and eighth grade team’s locker room was destroyed bythe hurricane.
On Thursday, Sept. 15, Brookhaven visits Lawrence County atMonticello for seventh and eighth grade games, starting at5:30.
Two new players, evacuees from the Gulf Coast, have joined theOle Brook varsity. They are Brent Benvenutti, offensive linemenfrom St. Stanislaus; and Tony Connetti, running back from Bay St.Louis.
Peavey said both players have been practicing with the Panthersand learning the system. They will be dressed out for Friday’s gameat Clinton. “They have a lot to learn and have to get back in theswing of it. They are practicing with us now.”
Peavey said Ole Brook softball coach Lisa Covington wasadjusting her schedule to accommodate the 2-week layoff.Rescheduling division games rate priority.