Cleanup work winding down
Published 5:00 am Friday, October 7, 2005
City-contracted crews will make their last pass throughMonticello beginning Monday to remove the last of Hurricane Katrinadebris.
The first pass through town, removing only vegetative debris,took the crews about a week, said Mayor David Nichols. The secondpass should take about the same amount of time.
“I think it will still take about that long or a tad longerbecause we’ll have nonburnable materials added this time,” hesaid.
Residents are urged to move their remaining damaged trees,limbs, stumps and housing materials to the roadside for removal.Vegetative debris must be separated from other debris to beremoved.
Nichols said the contractor’s first pass through the town went”fair” and a lot of the burnable material had been removed.However, as cleanup operations progressed more piles appeared.
“People are still bringing stuff out,” he said.
The second pass will be the last one, Nichols said. Whileencouraging residents to take advantage of debris-removaloperations, he also requested that residents not bring debris tothe road once the trucks have passed because there will be no thirdpass.