Extinguisher saves apartment

Published 6:00 am Friday, February 10, 2006

A small stove fire Thursday in an apartment complex could haveturned bad if not for the apartment’s fire extinguishers, said alocal fire department official.

A fire call was received by the Brookhaven Fire Department at 10a.m. Thursday from apartment 14 in building G of Brooks Apartmentsat the corner of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and Ole BrookRoad. The apartment is occupied by Sonia Evans.

On arrival, firefighters found a grease fire had started wheresomething had been left on the stove. A tenant extinguished thefire with the fire extinguisher that was in the apartment, said BFDFire Inspector Andre Spiller.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Spiller couldn’t stress enough the importance of possessing afire extinguisher in homes and businesses.

“If not for fire extinguishers in the apartments, it would havebeen bad,” Spiller said.

Spiller said he had inspected the apartments about two monthsago for fire code compliance, which includes fire extinguishers atthe apartments.

“Every year your fire extinguisher should be checked to beworking properly,” Spiller said, “Just as you do with your smokedetectors.”

He said getting extinguishers should be checked yearly by acertified professional.