More join local races
Published 6:00 am Tuesday, January 16, 2007
Candidates last week continued to surge into the Lawrence CountyCircuit Clerk’s office to qualify for the 2007 elections.
Incumbent District Five Supervisor Archie Ross and CountyAttorney Damond Ready submitted their qualifying papers last week.That leaves only Calvin Rutland, the incumbent District Threesupervisor, and Brad Davis, the incumbent Post Two constable, asthe only present office holders whose intentions are not clear.
Rutland may not have filed his qualification papers for DistrictThree supervisor, but several have filed to oppose him should heseek re-election. Last week, Eric King and Jerry Wayne Smithiequalified to extend the field to four challengers. Formersuperintendent John Bull and Jerry L. Wallace qualifiedearlier.
Davis has also been challenged in absentia. Claude H. Wallacefiled his papers Monday to seek the Post Two constable’s seat.
Incumbent District Two Supervisor Billy Joe Boutwell picked upan opponent with Gloria O. Billiot filing to campaign for theoffice. Billiot is running as an independent.
Former Sheriff Duane R. “Doc” Bradford has qualified to opposeincumbent Sheriff Joel Thames. Bradford joins a growing list thatincludes Hoyt Dampier and Charles White Jr.
No Lawrence County candidate has qualified as a Republican.
Other candidates who have qualified for office include:
* District One Supervisor: Incumbent Steve Garrett.
* District Four Supervisor: Incumbent Glenn Grubbs and StanleyL. Stephens.
* Circuit Clerk: James “Sandy” Brister, Patsy Bullock and StevenA. Moreman.
* Chancery Court Clerk: Incumbent Kevin Rayborn.
* Tax Assessor/Collector: Incumbent Sherry Hyde Thames.
* Justice Court Judge, Post One: Incumbent Albert Turnage.
* Justice Court Judge, Post Two: Incumbent Donald G. “Donnie”Mullins.
* Coroner: Incumbent Sidney Fortenberry.
* Post One Constable: Incumbent Lessie Butler.
* Superintendent: David A. “Tony” Davis and Tammy GivensFairburn.
Incumbent Circuit Clerk Cindy Stokes said she is retiring aftermore than 21 years in the office as an employee and clerk.