Qualifying ends in Lawrence Co. races
With only one non-Democrat campaigning for public office inLawrence County, most of this year’s elections will be unofficiallydecided in the Democratic primary in August.
The campaign for District Two supervisor, however, will advanceto the Nov. 6 general election. Incumbent supervisor Billy JoeBoutwell will meet fellow Democrats Joseph “Joe” Evans, Jay E. Mayeand Willie Earl Smith in the Democratic primary Aug. 7 with thewinner advancing to face Gloria O. Billiot, an Independent, inNovember.
Four candidates received no opposition in their bid to seekre-election and are in line to be re-elected following the generalelection. Chancery Clerk Kevin Rayborn, Post One Constable LessieJ. Butler, County Attorney Damond Ready and County Surveyor MontyE. Sanders are unopposed.
Candidates for other offices include:
* Sheriff: Incumbent Joel Thames, Duane R. “Doc” Bradford, HoyteDampier and Charles White.
* Supervisor District One: Incumbent Steve Garrett and CareyHedgepeth.
* Supervisor District Three: Incumbent Calvin Rutland, JohnBull, Ronnie D. Holmes, Eric King, Jerry Wayne Smithie and Jerry L.Wallace.
* Supervisor District Four: Incumbent Glenn Grubbs and StanleyL. Stephens.
* Supervisor District Five: Incumbent Archie Ross and GregorySutton.
* Circuit Clerk: James “Sandy” Brister, Patsy Bullock, AngelTullos Coin, Ramona Dickson and Steven A. “Steve” Moreman.
* Tax Assessor/Collector: Incumbent Sherry Hyde Thames andTracey Foster Carney.
* Justice Court Judge Post One: Incumbent Albert Turnage, AmosD. Bridges and Kathleen S. Sharp.
* Justice Court Judge Post Two: Incumbent Donald G. “Donnie”Mullins and Billy J. Braswell.
* Constable Post Two: Incumbent Brad Davis, Edward C. May, RoyceRenfroe, Claude H. Wallace and Buddy Wilson.
* Superintendent: Incumbent Russell Caudill, David A. “Tony”Davis and Tammy Givens Fairburn.
* Coroner: Incumbent Sidney Fortenberry, Dereck Prestridge andRonnie Thames.