Pump fire extinguished

Published 5:00 am Friday, October 5, 2007

Ernie Shaw says he’s grateful for emergency shutoff valves inthe gas pump outside his store after a driver ran over the pumpThursday night.

Brookhaven Fire Department was dispatched to Ernie’s Diner at1405 Union Avenue extension around 10:40 p.m. where a fire hadignited after Bruce Douglas Martin, 26, of Brookhaven, had backedover a gas pump in a borrowed 1998 Dodge pickup truck.

Lt. Eric Smith, a BFD firefighter, said they were able toextinguish the fire quickly with an extinguisher, but that thesituation could have been worse had the fire been able to get intothe gas supply to the pump.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

“That’s the reason these things are designed that way – to keepsomething like this from becoming a really big problem,” hesaid.

Shaw, who has owned the diner since it opened in 1993, said thathe wasn’t sure what to think when he got the call at his home thatthe fire department was en route to his diner.

For the complete story and more local news, become a subscriberto The DAILY LEADER. Contact The DAILY LEADER at 601-833-6961 tosubscribe today!