Bogue Chitto home damaged in fire

Published 6:00 am Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A home on Pricedale Drive was damaged in a late night fireTuesday, but the damage could have been worse, fire departmentofficials said.

Hog Chain Volunteer Fire Chief John Hart said the residence at1245 Pricedale Drive, Bogue Chitto, caught fire sometime before11:45 p.m. Tuesday. While firefighters were arriving on the scene,it was the heads-up help of a Lincoln County sheriff’s deputy thatgot the fire fight started. He said Hog Chain President DonnieHedgepeth had engaged the truck, and as Hart arrived on the scene,Deputy Wade Hinshaw had the hose on the blaze.

“Wade was the first on the scene,” Hart said. “He got thepropane tank cut off and was pulling lines. Wade was a reallifesaver.”

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Members of Hog Chain, Zetus, and Bogue Chitto VFDs worked untilabout 3:30 a.m. to knock the fire down, staying long enough to makesure the structure fire was completely extinguished before theyleft. Hart said the fire was contained to the carport, kitchen andutility room area, which left the building with 30 percentdamage.

Smoke and water damage accounted for what looked like totalcontent loss, however, Hart said.

“It was an old house and had been added on,” Hart said. “Therewas some dead space in the attic between where the old roof and theone they added, and the fire was up in there.”

Hart said the home was occupied by four people, and owned by aCheryl Davis of Bogue Chitto.

The residents were at the home at the time of the blaze, but allescaped safely. Red Cross was called to the scene.

“It’s bad anytime someone loses a home, but here we are a weekaway from a holiday,” Hart said.