Six employees arrested in scam
Published 6:00 am Wednesday, December 30, 2009
A Brookhaven man has been arrested in connection with a Jacksonnursing home scam that robbed elderly residents of more than$25,000.
Brad Burt, 35, of 688 Watts Lane, has been indicted on one countof felony exploitation of a vulnerable adult and 14 counts ofaccessory after the fact in felony exploitation of a vulnerableadult. An administrator at Belhaven Senior Center, he is alleged tohave aided the nursing home director and four other employees intaking $25,785 from residents under the guise of spending downfunds so Medicaid benefits would not be discontinued.
Burt was booked into the Raymond Detention Center and has beenreleased on $75,000 bond.
Jan Schaefer, a spokesman with the Mississippi AttorneyGeneral’s Office, said Burt is also charged with aiding andabetting in an effort to avoid returning the stolen funds. Belhavenoverseer Trend Consultants has since refunded all of the money tothe victims and paid a $77,355 penalty to the state.
Schaefer said Burt’s charge of exploitation of a vulnerableadult carries a 10-year sentence and no more than a $5,000fine.
Also arrested in connection with the case were:
* Ponchie McCollough, 36, of 308 William McKinley, Jackson -indicted on one count of conspiracy and 19 counts of felonyexploitation of a vulnerable adult. McCollough is a social workerat Belhaven.
* Justin Johnson, 30, of 23 Meadowbrooke Road, Natchez -indicted on 14 counts of accessory after the fact in felonyexploitation of a vulnerable adult. Johnson is director ofoperations for Trend Consultants.
* Tina Brewer, 43, of 2017 Eleanor St., Vidalia, La. – indictedon 14 counts of accessory after the fact in felony exploitation ofa vulnerable adult. Brewer is a billing specialist for TrendConsultants.
* Jessica McKinney, 21, of 1921 Chandler Drive, Jackson -indicted on one county of conspiracy and one count of felonyexploitation of a vulnerable adult. McKinney is a friend ofMcCollough’s.
* Madeline Floyd, 23, of 1256 Woodvillage Apartments, Jackson -indicted on one count of conspiracy and one count of felonyexploitation of a vulnerable adult. Foyd is a friend ofMcCollough’s.