• 79°

Man gets 25 years in fatal shooting

The second suspect involved in a fatal 2013 shooting in Brookhaven was sentenced to 25 years for manslaughter and aggravated assault Monday afternoon. 

David Earl Jones, 30, of 421 North Seventh St., was sentenced to 20 years in the state penitentiary for the manslaughter charge with three years suspended, 17 years to serve and three years of post-release supervision. For the count of aggravated assault, Jones was sentenced to five years to serve in the state penitentiary. Jones pleaded guilty to the manslaughter and aggravated assault charges on May 5.

The shooting resulted in the death of Darion K. Reese, 24, and injured Kimberly Simon, 39.

During the sentencing the victim’s mother, Carla Gayten, spoke.

“As part of my healing process, I have to forgive,” Gayten said. “And right now I forgive you.”



When given his chance to address the court and the family, Jones apologized for his actions.

“I want to apologize to the family. It’s always been something I’ve wanted to do but never got a chance to,” Jones said. “I never went over there to kill anyone.”

Jones’s council asked the judge to amend the state’s suggested sentencing due to Jones not having a previous criminal record and Jones’s stated intention not to kill anyone at the time of the incident.

Circuit Court Judge Michael Taylor issued a short recess to finish reviewing material submitted by Jones’s council before making his ruling, which was to accept the state’s recommended sentencing.

On Oct. 13, 2013, Jones and co-defendant Kevin Barome Collins, 1303 North Center St., were involved in a three-way shootout with 24-year-old Darion K. Reese. The incident took place at the corner of North Monticello Street and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive and resulted in Reese’s death.

Also resulting from the incident was the wounding of Kimberly Simon, 39, who was struck in the left shoulder by a stray bullet when she stopped her car at the intersection. Simon’s injuries make up the aggravated assault charges placed on both Jones and Collins.

Reese was transported to King’s Daughters Medical Center and pronounced dead there with one gunshot wound to the chest, according to Deputy Coroner Ricky Alford. Simon was admitted to KDMC and was later released from the hospital the next day.

Witnesses told police Jones and Collins fled the scene after the shooting. They later turned themselves on Oct. 14, 2013.

Collins was sentenced on May 6 to 20 years for one count of manslaughter and 10 years for one count of aggravated assault, with eight years suspended and two to serve.