Brookhaven’s Panther Park getting electricity, lights
Just in time for football season, the Brookhaven School District is finishing up work on its extended tailgating area, Panther Park.
BSD Superintendent Ben Cox told school board members Tuesday they are in the process of installing electricity and lights along with some water hoses. Some of the board members asked if there were any plans to install an irrigation system. Cox said there was not, but the infrastructure is there should they decide to do so later.
In other board business:
• The board accepted to revise the schedule of athletic supplements to include assistant slow pitch softball, assistant fast pitch softball and assistant tennis.
• The board accepted a donation from the BHS Girls Softball Booster Club in the amount of $885.90 for reimbursement for turf and $1,500 for other expenses.
• The board accepted a donation from the Brookhaven Gridiron Club in the amount of $5,000 for equipment.
• The board accepted a donation from the Hardwood Booster Club in the amount of $3,500 for weights for the basketball program.
• The board approved to host JROTC’s Southwestern Region Drill Competition on Oct. 31 and to sell concessions at the same event.
• The board approved for Lipsey to sell annuals.
• The board approved for the soccer team to sell T-shirts and sweats in November, to sell concessions during pee wee football and a lunch fundraiser in January.
• The board approved Cross Country to sell T-shirts in September, to conduct a car wash and to host a 5K.
• The board approved the student council to sell spirit shirts in August.
• The board approved for the Diamond Club to sell T-shirts/apparel, to sell chocolate and to sell sandwiches during the 2015-2016 school year.
• The board approved to advertise for a technology bid regarding fiber connectivity for the school sites to the BHS server room and for the BHS server room out to the World Wide Web.