Myers says no to gym honor
The Lincoln County School District will not name the Bogue Chitto gym after Mickey Myers, who said he was uncomfortable with the idea.
The school board on Monday discussed a request to name the gym in honor of the Bogue Chitto principal and LCSD superintendent-elect.
“I don’t know who proposed it, but I’m not in favor,” Myers said to the board. “Coaches come and go all the time.”
Myers said West Lincoln has the Jack Case Gymnasium, which is a well-earned honor. He said his own legacy was not of the same caliber. The board honored Myers’s wishes and allowed the motion to fail.
Superintendent Terry Brister addressed the board about ongoing projects at each of the schools. He said light poles for the baseball field at Loyd Star have been delivered.
He said they have plans to wrap the concession stand at Bogue Chitto to look like the press box. They will also construct a new concession stand between the football and baseball fields that will be able to serve both sports.
They are still working on the parking lot at Enterprise, and they are almost finished.
“We wanted a parking lot, but I think we got a pond,” Brister said, telling the board that the project has faced some obstacles with the recent rains.
In other board business:
• The board approved to move the second December meeting to Dec. 17 at 5 p.m. Normally, it would be held on Dec. 21, but school will be closed that day.
• The board approved to have an emergency bus school.
• The board approved a request for reimbursement for the cost of a mailbox a new driver ran over.
• The board approved a request to attend MASS Winter Conference and Mississippi School Board Association Basic Course.
• The board approved to accept a check from Pel Industries in the amount of $39.75 for commission of sales on school logo items.