Importance of security
Security in your job is desired by most people who value their positions. What makes up job security? It encompasses the probability that you will be able to keep your job and have a small chance of becoming unemployed.
It can come with the terms of your contract, if you have one, or an agreement that prevents being laid off. The most valuable tool in creating job security is for the employee to be dependable, a high performer and flexible.
The more essential jobs in a business are less likely to be eliminated. However, in budget cuts, downsizing, no jobs are completely safe or protected from elimination.
Even if you are a top performer your job could be determined as one that the company can eliminate by combining duties with another position or contracting to an external source at a lower cost.
No matter how much education you have or the expertise you possess there are few guarantees. Some jobs are more secure than others due to the critical shortage of certain skills and trades. Job security has become an increasingly rare commodity in the global economy we live in.
Personal security is elusive. We all desire it. It is a feeling of being safe, mentally and physically.
Financial institutions and many other businesses have for many years had elaborate security systems. Now the sales of home security systems is on the increase. Safewise reports that there are over 2 million home burglaries reported in the US each year and on the average a home burglary occurs about every 13 seconds or about 4 each minute. That’s nearly 6,000 every day. People are more concerned about protecting themselves, their families, their possessions. The security system has proved to be a good deterrent to break-ins and burglaries.
When you think about security in your life we desire financial security, online security and secure relationships, in addition to job security. Social Security was founded on August 14, 1935, to provide continuing income after retirement. However, It no longer offers the total security in retirement that many once thought possible. Individual efforts to ensure security in retirement is required.
The basis of real security is a confident and secure feeling about yourself. It will allow you to be more confident in your relationships and job. What are some of the things you can do to accomplish a comfortable level of security? People who find confidence in themselves are happier and more successful in their jobs and relationships with other people. Being happy and healthy is a goal of all people. It doesn’t happen by magic. It may take an attitude adjustment to find joy in your life. Some of the things you can do that will improve your life include:
1. Think positive thoughts. — Avoid negative people. Don’t be overly critical of yourself. Look for the best in other people and situations.
2. Make a list of your areas for improvement and your attributes — The attributes will most often outweigh the areas you may be lacking in. Methodically go through the list working on developing and areas for improvement but focus on the positives.
3. Seek happiness — I know people in very difficult situations who have determined they are going to be happy in their life regardless of the negativity in their lives. It takes discipline and figuring out how to deal with situations over which you have no control. Focus on areas you have influence in and don’t worry about things over which you have no control.
4. Work on developing confidence — Being confident will will show up in your demeanor and be a basis for good decision making. Confidence will result in an inner trust of yourself and a more stable base for interactions with others.
4. Become full of joy —In spite of circumstances, even the most difficult ones, you can be a joyful person. Happiness is dependent on circumstances being what you desire them to be whereas joy is a gift from God. There are many scriptures in the Bible that speak to joy. Romans 15:13 “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope.” James 1:2 “ Count it all joy, my brother, when you meet trials of various kinds…” Proverbs 17:22 “A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.”
Safety and security are on the top of priority lists of needs of individuals and businesses. The word security is used every day in so many ways. Emotional, physical, mental, financial, relational, spiritual security are desired by all. The lack of security prohibits achieving goals and finding satisfaction and contentment in life. We all want to feel that everything is ok and that we are safe and secure and that our basic needs are met. It is a basic human need. Helen Keller said in referring to external security, “ It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.” Choose life as a daring adventure. Don’t let fear overtake you or squander your life away. Live life to the fullest.
Becky Vaughn-Furlow retired from Trustmark Bank as executive vice president and human resources director. She can be contacted by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.