Absentee voting starts Monday
Published 9:40 pm Friday, May 5, 2017
Today is the last day to register to vote before the municipal general election June 6. Absentee voting begins Monday for Brookhaven residents.
New Lincoln County residents have to register at least 30 days prior to the election. That means Saturday is the deadline to register to vote in the general election, said Lincoln County Circuit Clerk Dustin Bairfield.
The Brookhaven City Clerk’s office in the Lincoln County Government Complex will be open today from 8 a.m. to noon for registration.
“They need a photo ID and, by law, we mail the card to them to verify where they live,” Bairfield said.
Current residents who have changed addresses or gotten married also need to update their information at City Hall before the poll books are printed.
“We print the poll books about a week before the election,” Bairfield said.
June 3 is the last day to vote absentee in the general election. The City Clerk’s office will be open on that Saturday from 8 a.m. to noon.
The deadline to receive absentee ballots by mail is June 5. Residents can vote at the city clerk’s office or call 601-833-2362 to request that a ballot be mailed to them.
“All mailed ballots have to be returned by Monday, June 5,” Bairfield said. “They cannot hand-deliver it back.”
Ballots for the general election will include Democrat, Republican and independent candidates. Voters will choose one candidate for each race: mayor, police chief and alderman-at-large. Voters in Wards 3 and 6 will also choose an alderman.
Voting for the primary election will be June 6 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the following locations:
• Ward One: Bi-Centennial Building on 200 Main St.
• Ward Two: Alexander Jr. High School on 713 Beauregard St.
• Ward Three: Lincoln County Governmental Complex in the city boardroom on 301 South First St.
• Ward Four: Brookhaven Elementary School in the auditorium on 300 South Church St.
• Ward Five: Brookhaven Recreation Department in the main room on 689 Hwy. 51 North
• Ward Six: Mamie Martin School in Room A-1 on 420 Vivian Merritt St.