Brookhaven Academy to host ice cream social, prayer walk
Ice cream and prayers have become a tradition for the Cougar crew.
Brookhaven Academy is hosting its second annual ice cream social Sunday at 1:30 p.m. at the campus at 943 Brookway Blvd. Parents, students and staff will also be taking a prayer walk around the campus.
Parent Leah Smith said the social is a good way for BA families to meet before school starts.
“We’re all just coming together to have a nice afternoon of eating ice cream and praying for our school before the school year begins,” Smith said.
Enrollment is up eight students from last year. Current enrollment is 468.
With several new additions to the Brookhaven Academy staff, administrators are are hoping for a great year. The following are new to the private school:
• Brandon Smith — high school math teacher.
• Brandi Barrett — guidance counselor.
• Karen Redd — financial office assistant.
• Will Gatlin — high school social studies teacher, assistant football coach and lead jr. high baseball coach.
• Holli Pepper — college algebra instructor.
• Taylor Burke — sixth grade teacher.
• Shelley Hambach — cafeteria employee.
• Whitney Rutter — cafeteria employee.
• Kaitlyn Bozeman — librarian.
Head of Schools Jason Case will open up the social with with a prayer and offer encouragement to the students, their family and school staff for the new year. After the social, everyone will be encouraged to walk around and pray in classrooms, hallways and buildings on the campus, Smith said. Participants will be asked to pray for the school, faculty and students.
“We try to make sure that every area of the school is covered in prayer. We hope a lot of people will show up. We had a really good turnout last year,” Smith said.
The city of Brookhaven is seeing another increase in receipts from tax diversions. For June, the most recent month figures... read more