Cats dominate Cobras, 44-0

Published 12:27 am Saturday, September 29, 2018

Division play started Friday as the visiting Columbia Wildcats traveled to Stone Stadium in Wesson to take on the Cobras.

Columbia would flex their might as they jumped on Wesson in the first half and didn’t let up in a 44-0 win over the Cobras.

The Wildcats took control of the game early and never looked back as they held the Cobras to a three and out after the opening kickoff. Then on the Wildcat’s first play of offense junior running back Kentrel Bullock broke free for a 59-yard touchdown run. The Wildcat two-point conversion attempt was good and they quickly led 8-0. 

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

The Cobras tried to answer back on their next possession as quarterback Antrelle Sims connected with senior wideout Victavian Edwards on third and long for 32-yard gain to get them down into Wildcat territory, but the Columbia defense stood strong and forced a turnover on downs. 

After the turnover on downs the Wildcats took care of business on their first offensive play again as freshman running back Omar Johnson bounced off a few tackles and scampered 64 yards for another Wildcat touchdown. The two-point conversion attempt was successful, and Columbia led 16-0.

The next Cobras possession was unsuccessful as they went three and out again and punted.

The Cobra defense was able to stop the Wildcat offense and force a punt, but their woes continued as Shemar Dickerson couldn’t secure the catch and the Wildcats recovered the ball on the Wesson 10-yard line. That would set up a three-yard touchdown run a few plays later by Bullock. The extra point attempt was good, and the Wildcats extended their lead to 23-0 to end the first quarter. 

The second quarter would follow suit as Columbia continued to control the game. Their defense would stand strong as they intercepted a Sims pass deep in the end zone and returned it 100 yards for another touchdown. The extra point would be good as well and the Wildcats stretched the lead to 30-0 with 6:43 left in the first half. 

On the next Cobra possession, the Columbia defense forced another three and out and another punt. 

The Wildcat offense would take the field again and senior quarterback Ralpheal Luter connected with senior wideout Dylan Henry for a 44-yard gain and that put the Wildcats inside the red zone at the Cobra 10-yard line.  On the next play Bullock would find the end zone again for a nine-yard touchdown run. The extra point was good and the Wildcats took a 37-0 lead into the half. 

The second half opened with the Wildcats receiving the kickoff and returning it to their own 34-yard line.  On third down and long quarterback Luter connected with wideout Detorres Lewis for a 66-yard touchdown pass. The extra point attempt was good and the Columbia lead increased to 44-0. 

Wesson returns to division action next week as they travel to Seminary.

Story by Rusty Newman