Thanks for donating to food pantry drive
Brookhaven and Lincoln County are full of givers. Just take a look at the list of donors for the Holiday Food Pantry Drive. The joint effort by the newspaper and Bank of Brookhaven helps to raise funds for four area food pantries.
These local groups are largely staffed by volunteers who work to help their neighbors. The pantries — and their volunteers — offer canned food, mac and cheese, rice and other staples. Sometimes there is even meat. And while the food is essential, it’s their gift of compassion that matters most.
Most of us can’t imagine needing the services of a food pantry. Even if we’ve experienced hard times, most of us have not needed a handout in order to put food on the table. Someone in that situation is desperate, and the care and compassion of a local food pantry helps feed the soul as much as the mac and cheese feeds the body.
This year, about $6,000 will be split between the four pantries — Bethel AME, St. Francis of Assisi/St. Vincent de Paul, The Greater Hope Foundation and Union Hall Baptist Church. That money will be put to good use right here in our community.
Some years, the fundraiser has brought in more; some years it has been less. But every year, donors make sure those pantries have something. And every little bit helps.
Union Hall feeds about 50 families per year. Bethel AME feeds about 175 families per month. Greater Hope feeds about 150 families per month. St. Francis helps 60-80 families each month.
Collectively, the four groups help hundreds of Lincoln Countians, and those who donated to the drive help make that possible.
Below is the list of donors. I personally want to thank each and every one of them for their generosity. Lincoln County is a better place because of you.
• Nina Smith’s School of Dance, $200
• Audrey and Clyde Allgood, $100
• Mt. Wade Baptist Church, $100
• Anonymous, $1,665 (15 donors)
• Carolyn J. Brown, $25
• Woodman Life Chapter 9, $500
• Karen Sullivan, $100
• Carrol & Carlton Cobb, $100
• New Hope United Methodist Church, $300
• Cheryl and Moses Bell Jr., $125
• Easthaven Baptist Church, $100
• Shirley Estes, $100
• Avery Chapel AME Church, $100
• Riverwood Family, $400
• New Hope Quilters, $100
• James and Cheryl Adams, $100
• Mississippi Christian Travel Service, $50
• Lincoln Co. Ms. Republican Party, $250
• Beverly and Reginald Wise, $100
• J&J, $20
• Smith’s Machine & Welding Co., $200
• Majorie W. Lee, $100
• Rotary Club of Brookhaven-Lincoln County, $500
• Big Mo-Mo and Aunt Ronnie, $100
Email publisher Luke Horton at firstname.lastname@example.org