Officials: Man, 1-year-old died in house fire

Published 11:06 pm Friday, December 21, 2018

LAUREL (AP) — Officials say a man and a 1-year-old died in a blaze caused by improper use of electrical cords.

Jones County Deputy Coroner Burl Hall tells news outlets that 27-year-old Isaiah Pierce and Mahogany Brownlow died in the Wednesday night blaze in Laurel.

Officials say there were several people inside of the residence when the fire started just around 10 p.m. Pierce and others were able to make it out, but officials say he ran back inside to save the child. Laurel Fire Chief Mark Nichols says Pierce and the little girl did not make it back out of the burning home.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Hall says autopsy results from Pierce and Brownlow will be released at a later time.