Closings for state holiday announced
Several schools, and state, city and county offices will be closed Monday, which is Martin Luther King Jr. Day and Gen. Robert E. Lee’s birthday, both state holidays.
According to Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann, the Legislature has designated the third Monday in January as the day for the observance of the birthdays of both Lee and King, which makes Jan. 21 a legal holiday in the state of Mississippi.
Mississippi and Alabama are the only two states that celebrate Lee’s birthday on the same day as Martin Luther King Day. Arkansas separated the holidays in 2017, according to the Associated Press.
Lee was born on Jan. 19, 1807, and his birthday is a holiday in some states. King was born on Jan. 15, 1929, and his birthday is a federal holiday held on the third Monday of January.
The following area offices and businesses have announced their schedules for Monday:
• The Daily Leader office will be open.
• Arrow Disposal Services Inc. will run its regular route in the county. It will run the recycle route Monday as usual in the city.
• The Brookhaven-Lincoln County Chamber of Commerce will close Monday.
• The U.S. Post Office will be closed Monday. It’s one of the 10 holidays for which the post office closes.
• All campuses of Copiah-Lincoln Community College are closed for the state and national holiday.
• Brookhaven and Lincoln County school districts, Mississippi School of the Arts and Brookhaven Academy are closed Monday.
• The Mississippi Highway Patrol Driver’s License exam office will be closed Monday.
• Brookhaven city offices as well as Lincoln County offices will be closed.