County school board looks to tackle bleachers
Published 9:39 pm Thursday, May 16, 2019
Discussion of emergency repair of football bleachers at Loyd Star Attendance Center took center stage at a recent Lincoln County School Board meeting.
Board members and Superintendent Mickey Myers met in the board room of the central office to discuss various topics on the agenda, but especially an emergency repair of Loyd Star’s football bleachers.
Ryan Holmes, consulting engineer for Dungan Engineering, came before the school board to present a quote to repair the bleachers at Loyd Star Attendance Center.
About a year ago, Myers had the press box at Loyd Star’s football stadium taken down due to safety reasons — a wall under the bleachers had collapsed. A temporary press box was put up by Robert Rushing Construction.
The issue was sent to area contractors to receive quotes for demolition and renovation, and the board received a quote for $62,400.
Holmes stressed the severity of the situation by providing visual aids for the board to examine.
“Time is of the essence,” Holmes said.
Holmes expects the project to take 60 days. The quote includes only demolition and renovation, not reinstalling the current press box.
“I don’t think we can make a decision on this tonight,” board president Billy Vaughn said.
There was discussion of possibly demolishing the old structure and not building a new one, but this idea didn’t sit well with the board.
“There’s not a good answer to this,” Cunningham said.
The issue has been tabled until the board’s work session today.
The following items were approved at the board meeting:
• Personnel recommendations.
• Resignation and retirement requests.
• New employees at all four schools along with contracts for the 2019-2020 school year.
• Revised salaries and contracts for the 2019-2020 school year due to updated licenses or being assigned to extracurricular activities.
• Teacher assistant’s scale and salary for the 2019-2020 school year.
• Secretaries’ scale and salaries for the 2019-2020 school year.
• Central office salaries and contracts for the 2019-2020 school year.
• Job responsibilities for Class A Custodian and Class B Custodian and salary scales for 2019-2020 and Maintenance salaries.
• Bus drivers pay scale and Transportation salaries for 2019-2020.
• Child nutrition salaries for 2019-2020.
• Docket of claims: Enterprise, for a total of $4,313.13; Loyd Star, for a total of $12,528.05; and Central Office, for a total of $515,811.63.