Primary elections are Tuesday
Voters Tuesday will head to the polls beginning at 7 a.m. to cast ballots in state, district and county elections.
It’s also the first day of school for the Brookhaven School District, so Lincoln County Circuit Clerk Dustin Bairfield is urging motorists to be mindful of the extra traffic on the roads before and after school today. Bairfield said the Brookhaven Police Department will be directing traffic at two of the 30 polling places — Alexander Precinct No. 11 votes at the Alexander Junior High auditorium and High School Precinct No. 16 votes at the Brookhaven High School Vocational Building at 433 East Monticello St.
Lipsey Precinct No. 52 did vote at Lipsey Middle School, but the school district asked in December 2018 to relocate the precinct because voting interferes with school operation. It was moved to the Brookhaven Recreation Department at 689 Hwy. 51 North.
Bairfield said 720 absentee votes had been received in the circuit clerk’s office by Saturday — 549 Republican and 171 Democrat.
He expected 66 mail-in absentee ballots to be returned by Monday.
There are 20,819 registered voters in Lincoln County. Of those, Bairfield estimates about 13,000 eligible voters — about 63 percent — will cast ballots today.
The following races will be settled today as the incumbent candidates ran unopposed: Circuit clerk Dustin Bairfield, coroner Clay McMorris, county surveyor Joe Byrd, District 3 Supervisor Nolan Williamson, District 5 Supervisor Doug Falvey and District 92 State Representative Becky Currie (Lincoln, Lawrence and Copiah counties).
The following races will be settled because only two Republican candidates face each other in each race and the winners in the primaries will not face opponents in the general election:
• Constable Post 1 — Justin Case and incumbent Kelly Porter.
• Sheriff — John Leggett and incumbent Steve Rushing.
• Tax assessor/collector: incumbent Blake Pickering and Wendy Smith.
Precinct polling places for Lincoln County, listed in alphabetical order, are:
• Alexander precinct, at Alexander Junior High
• Arlington precinct, at County Unit Facility District 4
• Big Springs precinct, at Big Springs Baptist Church
• Bogue Chitto precinct, at Bogue Chitto VFD
• Brignall/Rogers Circle precinct, at Lincoln County District 2 office
• Caseyville precinct, Caseyville Voting House
• City Hall precinct, at Lincoln County Public Library
• East Lincoln precinct, at East Lincoln VFD
• Enterprise precinct, at Enterprise Attendance Center
• Fair River precinct, 2728 Harmony Drive SE
• Forrestry, precinct, 515 County Farm Lane NE
• Governmental Complex precinct, at Lincoln County Governmental Complex
• Halbert Heights precinct, at Brookhaven Central Fire Station
• Heucks Retreat precinct, at Heucks Retreat VFD
• High School precinct, at Brookhaven High School
• Johnson precinct, at 519 Beachnut Trail SW
• Johnson Grove precinct, behind Johnson Grove Church of Christ
• Lipsey precinct, Brookhaven Recreation Dept.
• Little Bahala precinct, at Little Bahala Baptist Church
• Loyd Star precinct, Loyd Star VFD
• Montgomery precinct, at Clear Branch Baptist Church
• New Sight precinct, at New Sight VFD
• Norfield precinct, at Norfield Voting House
• Old Brook precinct, at Brookhaven Equipment Building
• Old Red Star precinct, Old Red Star Voting House
• Pearlhaven precinct, at Bi-Centennial Building
• Ruth precinct, at Ruth VFD
• Vaughn precinct, Vaughn Voting House
• West Lincoln precinct, at West Lincoln Voting House
• Zetus precinct, Zetus VFD
A new grocery store is on the horizon in Brookhaven, with a view of Hwy. 51. Steve Sullivan, owner and... read more