• 54°

Builder asks county for help with road

A retired builder plans to create a neighborhood of $300,000 houses in East Lincoln, so he turned to the county Board of Supervisors for help with roads.

“I’m just asking if me and my partner do this, can we maybe down the road, expect a little help? That’s all I’m asking,” said David Bowers, who lives in that community.

Bowers and Mike Dunaway partnered to purchase 39 acres on Hutcherson Lane off Hwy. 583.

The neighborhood will be called Whitestone Estates.

“There’s a need for houses in Brookhaven,” he said. “We’re going to put in between 25 and 30 high-end homes. It will be a beautiful spot.”

Bowers asked supervisors if they’d be able to blacktop the 3,500 linear feet of road that will snake through the development.

“We can build it to your specs, but after we build it and we’ve got 25 to 30 beautiful homes out there, people want a blacktop of some sort or some fashion,” he said. “What can y’all do? If we do this, we figure there’s going to be between $7 million and $8 million worth of home equity out there.”

The homes will be at least 2,200 square feet and homeowners will be required to follow “high-end” covenants, or conditions, to live there.

“If you build a dog house, it’s got to have the same brick as the real house with the real shingles,” he said. “You can’t park boats or 18 wheelers. Brookhaven is prosperous and people want to live in a community that stays prosperous.”

Bowers said 90 percent of the development is in the Enterprise School District with the remaining 10 percent — the lots in the back —in the Brookhaven School District.

County engineer Ryan Holmes asked Bowers if he and Dunaway would be building the homes themselves. Bowers said the lots are already in demand by various contractors.

“I’ve got seven lots already sold. We’re talking good contractors, not fly by night contractors. They’re coming in from Natchez, all over, wanting to buy lots already,” he said. “They can come in here and they can build 10 right off the bat and they’re going to be high-end homes and they’re going to be for sale and people will buy them.”

Holmes explained that developers are responsible for building the roads in a planned neighborhood like this, then once it’s up to standards, the county can take it over.

“We expect the road to be paved when we take it,” Holmes said.

Lincoln County Chancery Clerk Tillmon Bishop said once the road is built to specifications, the engineer will come to the supervisor of that district, and that supervisor — if he wants it to be a public road — will come to the board and they will vote.