Monday to see Martin Luther King Jr. Day closings
Monday is Martin Luther King Jr. Day, a federal and state holiday celebrating the birthday of the civil rights leader who was born on Jan. 15, 1929.
On the same day the state recognizes the birthday of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee, born on Jan. 19, 1807.
Both holidays are celebrated annually on the third Monday in January. Mississippi and Alabama are the only two states in the union to celebrate the general’s birthday on the same day as that of Martin Luther King Jr. Several schools, and state, city and county offices will be closed to observe these holidays.
The following area offices and businesses have announced their schedules for Monday:
• The Daily Leader will be open normal business hours.
• Arrow Disposal Services Inc. will run regular Monday pickup routes.
• The Brookhaven-Lincoln County Chamber of Commerce will be closed.
• Martin Luther King Jr. Day is one of 10 postal holidays and both U.S. Post Offices will be closed.
• All campuses of Copiah-Lincoln Community College are closed for the state and national holiday.
• Brookhaven and Lincoln County school districts, Mississippi School of the Arts and Brookhaven Academy are closed Monday.
• The Mississippi Highway Patrol Driver’s License exam office will be closed.
• Brookhaven city offices as well as Lincoln County offices will be closed.