Community can help young boy fighting leukemia
Published 2:27 pm Tuesday, May 23, 2023
LOYD STAR — A local boy is now in a fight with leukemia. Ledger Smith and his parents Catilyn and Reid Smith of Loyd Star are facing the unknown with support from friends and the local church after three-year-old Ledger was diagnosed with Leukemia last Friday.
One of the ways people in the area can help Ledger is by donating blood through local blood drives or the Mississippi Blood Services center in Flowood. All a donor has to do is give the ID #EJ22 to give to Ledger all donors will receive gift cards for their efforts.
Lindsey Byrd and Mary Lumley have also started a GoFundMe for Ledger. According to the GoFundMe description, Ledger will be at Batson Children’s Hospital for 12 days and will have to return for treatments over the next two years as he battles leukemia. His parents both work full time jobs. As of May 23, $16,605 has been donated to the Smith family.
Here are locations for blood donations to help Ledger:
Tuesday May 23
- Itta Bena at Dollar General from 2 to 6p.m.
- Mccomb at Pike National Bank on Rawls from 12 to 4p.m.
Wednesday May 24
- Meridian at Anderson Hospital from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Hollandale at Twin County EPA from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Bude at UMB Bank from 10:30a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Thursday May 25
- Brookhaven at Haven Hall Healthcare Center from 12 to 4p.m.
- Hollandale at Stop n Shop from 2:30 to 6:30p.m.
- Gloster at UMB Bank from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30p.m.
Friday May 26
- Bogue Chitto at the Dollar General from 2 to 6 p.m.
- Belzoni at SuperValu from 2 to 6 p.m.
Saturday May 27
- Brookhaven at Regal Westbrook 4 Movies from 12 to 4p.m.
- McComb at Lowe’s from 12 to 4 p.m.
- Natchez at Natchez Market #2 from 11a.m. to 3p.m.
Another way people can help Ledger is through prayer. He has two siblings and a cousin who are pretty close.