Tips for traveling with pets this Memorial Day weekend
Published 2:17 pm Tuesday, May 23, 2023
Memorial Day weekend is just ahead — the official kick-off to summer travel. For those planning to travel with pets, here are some important tips from Trupanion medical insurance staff veterinarian Dr. Sarah Nold on how to best travel with furry friends so everyone enjoys the trip.
• Bring enough food for the entire trip, if possible, as a change in food can cause stomach issues in some pets.
• Make sure your dog is secure — in a carrier or properly-fitted harness/collar — before opening the car door, to minimize risk of the dog getting lost.
• Extra towels are always great to have on hand, and can help protect upholstery in the case of rain or “accidents.”
• Traveling by car allows for more flexibility — if your pet is showing signs of distress, you can detour to a veterinarian for evaluation. Nold recommends bringing a copy of your pet’s medical records, especially if it is being treated or monitored for a condition.
• Call the airline to determine if your dog is approved for riding in the cabin, or if it will have to travel in cargo.
• Most airlines require a USDA health certificate issued by a vet for your dog, usually issued within 10 days of travel.
• Have your pet microchipped to help with identification if they get lost — no matter how you travel.