Storms knocked out power last night, more storms could roll through into tomorrow

Published 11:00 am Monday, July 10, 2023

BROOKHAVEN — Silence pierces the summer night when the power goes out and Air Conditioning units cut off. Monday morning around 4 a.m. severe storms knocked out power to 961 Southwest Electric Customers in Lincoln County, 25 percent of the customer base, but crews were able to restore power to all customers by 9 a.m.

Monday has a 40 percent chance of rain going into the afternoon. Thunderstorms and showers should hit before 5 p.m. before the cloudy skies clear up gradually into a mostly sunny evening.

Temperatures will reach a high of 87 before dropping to 70 tonight. Showers and thunderstorms could return Tuesday afternoon mostly after 1 p.m. with a forecasted high of 89 degrees. The heat index will reach values as high as 100. There is a 60 percent chance of rainfall Tuesday and a 40 percent chance Wednesday.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

NWS Jackson warns there is still potential for isolated severe storms and damaging wind gusts from noon to 8 p.m. Monday. Tuesday could see marginal risks of isolated severe storms, damaging wind gusts and hail up to a quarter in size from 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Heat stress conditions could return Wednesday to Saturday afternoon. High temperatures will reach the mid 90s with heat indices of 106 degrees to 110 degrees. Heat exhaustion is likely with prolonged outdoor activity so be sure to stay hydrated.

Brookhaven and Lincoln County do not have any cooling shelters but Bicentennial Park and Brookhaven City Park have a splash pad for people to cool off.

Rain is a good thing for gardens and food plots. Since July 1, 2.94 inches of rain has fallen in Brookhaven which is 1.47 inches greater than the long term average.