Error in judgement caused Loyd Star fire

Published 11:24 am Tuesday, September 19, 2023

LOYD STAR  — A wildfire in Loyd Star community near California Road and Jackson Liberty Monday afternoon was caused by human error in judgment. It quickly got out of control and burned 30 acres. 

The fire was the third wildfire in Lincoln County over the past week. Lincoln County Emergency Management Agency Director Chris Reid said the fire was caused by someone burning trash. Citations have been issued.

“You are liable for any damage you cause,” Reid said. “There is no exception to the burn ban.”

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Danger will linger

Lincoln County remains under a burn ban until further notice. It would take a substantial amount of rain such as a hurricane or tropical depression to lift the ban and snap the region out of a drought.

Lincoln County Volunteer Fire Departments responded to smaller fires along I-55, Buttercup Trail and Pleasant Grove Road Monday which would bring the county to six fires in the past week. Please be cautious and do not attempt open burning of any kind.

Bush hogging, chainsaws, lawn mowers and parking in tall grass could be enough to start a fire. Nine out of 10 wildfires are caused by humans. Only you can prevent wildfires.

The National Weather Service in Jackson warns the risk of wildfire will be elevated this week through Friday. There is no chance of rain in the forecast until Saturday, Sunday and Monday and even then the chance is just 20 to 30 percent. Humidity will remain low until then only increasing the fire risk.

Fire flares up

A fire in East Lincoln, which has consumed 400 acres, is still alive. The Mississippi Forestry Commission had contained the fire but it appears to have jumped fire breaks Monday evening.

Wind gusts, low humidity and dry conditions have made the risk of fires spreading quickly increase. Crews contained the fire Sunday but it flared up Monday afternoon.

The fire is believed to have been started by a lawn mower Saturday. Grass got caught on the muffler and overheated, sparking the fire. Reid gave an update to the Lincoln County Board of Supervisors during a regularly scheduled meeting Monday morning. 

Reid said they would likely go back to the fire in East Lincoln and hit some of the hot spots after lunch Tuesday.