Flash flooding a concern this week

Published 8:51 am Monday, January 22, 2024

BROOKHAVEN — National Weather Service in Jackson warns heavy rainfall this week could cause flash flooding in Brookhaven and Lincoln County. The severe weather threat follows a week of freezing temperatures.

Monday could kick off the rain event with 20 percent chance of showers during the day increasing to 80 percent Monday night. Showers are likely before noon on Tuesday with 60 percent chance of rain for the area.

Tuesday night rain chances will be at 60 percent with rainfall amount between a half and three quarters of an inch. Wednesday has a greater chance of rain with 90 percent chance of rain and the chance of thunderstorms. NWS Jackson forecasts three quarters of an inch to an inch of rain is possible Wednesday.

Subscribe to our free email newsletter

Get the latest news sent to your inbox

Rain could continue into Thursday and Friday with 80 percent chances of rain and 40 percent chance of rain respectively.

Flood potential is increasing for the area going into this week of rain. NWS Jackson warns two to five inches of rain could fall with locally higher amounts possible. Localized flash flooding could happen in low lying urban areas and minor river flooding is possible.

Severe storms could find the area Wednesday afternoon with isolated severe storms, damaging wind gusts and hail up to a quarter in size.

Check back for more updates as we approach this storm.